Sunday 29 June 2014

Stairs

With the last round of trademen it's finally time to peel off the protective board and stain the stairs.

All natural

Looks great from this view, but once the stairs turn at the top, the carpenters did not butt the treads and risers against the wall. Instead, they have cut into the wall so there are now small gaps that need to be fill in. More work that I wasn't expecting but I think I'll start staining first. At least I don't have to be too careful about getting stain on the wall at the top. 

Stained

The job took longer than I thought (almost two days just to do 1 coat).

Vanished

After two coats of stain, it's time for the clear vanish. 

Sealed Garage floor

Also sealed the garage floor with two coats of acrylic sealer with the same colour tint used in the driveway (metal grey). Noticed several cracks too and wonder should I mention them in the 3 months defect list? 

Round Pendant

The round pendant was finally up and it did appear to be too small (40cm diameter) but the next size up (60cm) might have been too big. Wanted it a little lower but would have had to replace the prewired cable. Not so bad I guess.

Drum Pendant

The same style pendant in the drum version for the dining room. A bit hard to judge the height without the dining table in place.

6 comments:

  1. Looking good. We are thinking of sealing the garage floor too..did you do this yourself with a kit from a hardware store or get someone to do it for you?
    I want to do ours myself but not sure how hard it is to do..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it myself. Not hard at all. Start off with a brush and do the edges first. Then roll the first coat on with a wool roller. Try to stick with one direction. Once it is dried, do a second coat in the other direction.

      Delete
  2. Hey Pongie,
    We are finally getting the keys next week and rolling the garage is my first job before we move in. Can you tell me how your acrylic covering is holding up? I am trying to decide between an epoxy and what you have put down,,, Where did you get the acrylic sealer from?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and almost forgot..is it slippery?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's still holding up good. The only issue is if you ever spill oil on it then be quick to wipe if off. Otherwise it will strip the sealant. I found out when there was a few puddles of decking oil and lawn mower oil in some spots.

    It's only slippery when wet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete