Friday 9 May 2014

More Drama

Garage Door

The garage door went on today and the colour is so dark compared to the rest of the cedar features. This TimberCoat Cedar was an upgrade that was recommended by the colour consultant during colour selection and we just went along with what was advised. Apparently this has happened before on another seaview build last year. Luckily for them, Rawson decided to allow them to change to another colour. I don't think we will be so fortunate. Even if we were, it would delay handover as the current garage door took 5 weeks to make. I'm guessing a new order would take just as long. I tried to bring this up back in Oct 2013, around the same time the other build was going through it. However, the colour consultant assured me, my Dark Oak stain that I've selected would match the TimberCoat Cedar more and the other build must have used a clear stain on their cedar panels. I'm going to give it a shot and see if they will replace it with another colour, perhaps Merbau. But I'm not going to hold my breathe for it.

Timber Coat Range

Stain Chart

This is compounded by the fact that the stairs is also a totally different colour to the display home. I clearly asked the colour consultant for the stain used in the display home, and was advised it was Dark Oak. Judging by the handrail (we were allowed to take a small piece home for comparison), it's a lot lighter than what is on displayed at Kellyville. I kind of expected it to match the alfresco decking as that was also stained in Dark Oaks. However, the SS stated that even though the same stain is used throughout, each area will have a slight variation since different species of timber were used. Decking to the alfresco used Spotted Gum (even though the contract stated Merbau, I'm actually not fussed about this at all as I like how the alfresco turned out. No idea what the difference is between Merbau and Spotted Gum), the facade used Cedar and the stairs used Victorian Ash, I'm not sure what the handrail used, it may or may not have been Victorian Ash but I still believe it's a good representation on how the stairs will turn out. Nevertheless, it should at least match the display home if it was the same Victorian Ash and Dark Oak stain. Which it isn't, there's no way the stairs will be a close match to our bamboo flooring that we've ordered based on what we saw on the display home. Will now have to ask the SS to leave the stairs un stained, and sand the handrail down after handover. That way we can stain it ourselves to something that's darker and more like the display home and the bamboo floor.

Handrail next to Bamboo floor
Display Home

2 comments:

  1. The stair stain in the display home is Ebony, as we have it on our Victorian Ash stairs in our seaview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so the colour consultant gave us the wrong colour. I'll see if Rawson is willing to change the stain colour.

      Delete